Hello, this is Nicholas, Jason's brother.
This year, much like last year, donations are being collected to help aid families who have recently suffered a spinal cord injury (or other traumatic spinal/brain injury). This year, though, the donations are not for Santa Clara, they are instead for the Kennedy Krieger Institute's Pediatric Rehabilitation Center (http://www.kennedykrieger.org/patient-care/patient-care-programs/inpatient-programs/pediatric-rehabilitation-unit), a rehab center that specializes in SCI rehab for children from birth-21 years of age. Our goal is to assemble 40 care packages (1 for every patient) and also collect items to form a entertainment lending library for patients to borrow (this is especially useful at night, which are easily the most difficult times in the hospital, since there is not much scheduled and you are left to reflect on the enormity of your situation).
There are several ways for you to get involved.
- You can mail individual items needed for care packages, or for the lending library. Some ideas for this include:
- Hygiene Products (toothbrushes and toothpaste have been donated).
- Face Wipes
- Baby Wipes
- Dental Floss
- Travel Size Shampoo/Conditioner/Body Wash
- Body Lotion
- Nail Care Items (filing boards, clippers, etc)
- Entertainment (for various ages from toddler to young adult)
- Puzzles (crosswords, sudoku, word search, etc)
- Reading Material (books, magazines, etc)
- Art Supplies (crayons, coloring books, sketch pads, etc)
- Water Bottles
- Notes of Encouragement
- Items needed for common locations for all patients to borrow:
- DVDs (only G, PG, and PG-13 rated please)
2. There is an Amazon wish-list set up at:
registry/wishlist/ 1146UYEGJ93TT/ref=cm_wl_ search_bin_1
- If you buy something from the wish list, you can elect to have it mailed directly to me. If you do this, please send it as a gift, so that I know who sent it--I'd like to be able to thank you for your help!
- Mail to: 13100 Peach Leaf Pl., Fairfax, VA, 22030
- If you make it out to Nicholas Ng, I will purchase remaining items that are needed.
- If you make it out to Kennedy Krieger Institute, it will be sent directly to them, and will be used to purchase gas cards (many of the families can not afford the gas required to drive to Baltimore and stay with their child).
All of your donations are tax deductible, just be sure to provide me with a mailing address so that the form gets to the right place.
Thank you for your time and thank you in advance for all of your wonderful donations.
PS (From Ashley): Rehab is terrible and overwhelming and, ever since J left Santa Clara, I've been working, through the donation of care packages and other mentoring activities, to make it slightly less terrible for those who are there. I'm super excited that Nicholas is stepping up to help in such a big way. KKI holds a very special place in our heart--I truly credit them with a lot of Jason's recovery. We're swiftly approaching the two year anniversary of Jason's accident, and I could not think of a better way to honor him, and the strides he's made, than to donate to this drive.